Every resident in Nairobi knows just how good hose pipes are, especially with the recurring water shortages that can last for hours or even days. Storing water is necessary, and that can only be done with the help of a hose pipe.
This article will show you the important factors to consider before getting a hose for yourself.
There exists a variety of hose pipes in the markets that come in different materials and colors that provide you with many options to choose from. You’re likely to make a mistake and get yourself a hose that will not be suited for your tasks.
Consider the following before choosing the appropriate hose:
- Length: going for the longest hose is not always the best option. Though it might seem cheap to buy one longer hose then use it for all your tasks, it’s not recommended cause it’ll be expensive, heavier, and require extra storage space.
If you want a longer hose of more than 50 feet, consider buying two average hoses that you’ll be joining together when using.
- Material: the most preferred option is always rubber. Most hoses are either rubber, vinyl, or a blend of the two.
An original vinyl hose – this is the cheapest and most affordable one. It’s also lightweight, thus easy to carry around. However, it’s the least sturdy which makes it likely to kink, crack, and split whenever exposed for long in the sun or other harsh weather.
Rubber – this is the most expensive hose. It’s suitable for heavy-duty tasks as it is stronger and more durable. They, however, tend to be heavy to carry around. Another benefit is that they carry hot water and can cope with extreme weather.
Reinforced hoses – these consist of layers made of both rubber and vinyl. They are more durable and resistant to breaking and kinking. They also can carry water at extremely high-pressure levels.
It would help if you were extra cautious with rubber and vinyl hoses since they tend to leach chemicals in the water, making it unsafe for consumers.
If you intend to drink from the hose water, it’ll be worth investing in one that is ”drinking water safe.”
- Strength – hose pipe strength is measured through burst pressure, that is, the water pressure that’ll make it rupture. Make sure you get one with an accurate burst pressure rating. If you intend to use the hose for irrigation or a sprinkler, go for one with a higher burst pressure exceeding 350 psi.
Make sure to revise the hose pipe prices Nairobi to decide which one best suits your budget.
- Flexibility – you’ll need a hose that is easy to store and move around corners. However, be careful not to get one that kinks too easily, as it’ll lead to cracks and breakdown. Generally, rubber and reinforced hoses are the most flexible.
While at the shop, try bending the hose into a U-shape; if it kinks, don’t pick it.
- Hose diameter – the diameter is particularly of the inside of the hose. Hoses with larger diameters carry more water.
If the weight of the hose is of essence to you, then go for one with a smaller diameter of about a half-inch. They are lighter though they can’t carry more water.
- Couplings – these are the pieces at the end of a hose. They attach to sprinklers and nozzles. Though plastic ones are the least expensive, they are likely to leak and break down. They also can’t be tightened easily.
Metal couplings – especially cast brass, are the most durable and don’t leak easily.
Buying a quality hose pipe that will last a long time is more cost-effective. All you need is to make sure that you’re buying the hose from a reliable supplier. Source https://www.waterpumps.co.ke